top of page

Speeding driver slammed into taxi full of passengers after speeding and jumping a red light

A car dealership owner has appeared in court following a high speed accident which left three people seriously injured.

Daniel Duggan, 22, of Fuscia Way, Rogerstone, slammed into a taxi full of passengers after jumping through a red light at a speed in excess of 70mph.

As a result three people were left with serious injuries.

It was reported in Wales Online that Cardiff Crown Court heard how the accident, which happened on on the A4055 on May 8 2018, left the taxi driver, Ian Cutt with multiple fractures and bleeding around his heart.

Another injured party, Lewis Rees, who was in Duggans vehicle was left with a large laceration to his face, whilst Kyra Lawson, one of the passengers in the taxi, was also left with multiple fractures.

The court heard how Duggan had exceeded a 40mph speed limit and was travelling at speeds between 70 and 77mph just prior to the accident, and at one point was travelling between 88 and 90mph on Cogan Spur Road.

The cabbie, who was taking four passengers to Cardiff Central Station, decribed how he started to pull away from the junction when Duggan's vehicle came skidding toward them at speed. 

It was revealed in court that neither of Mr Duggan's passengers were wearing a seatbelt. 

As a result of the accident, Mr Cutts has been unable to work, and will never be able to drive a taxi again due to his injuries, whilst Ms Lawson is still in pain from the injuries that she received. Mr Rees explained to the court how he now suffers from paranoia, fearing people look at him differently due to the nature of his injury.

Duggan admitted three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

No drugs, nor alcohol were in Duggan's system at the time of the crash.

Duggan's defence lawyer, Simon Morgan stated that Duggan wasn't concentrating and has expressed deep remorse over his actions.

Duggan, was sentenced to two years and four months in prison and will serve half before being released on licence. 

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and two months and was ordered to pay a victim surcharge.

Subscribe to our newsletter. Receive all the latest news

Thanks for subscribing!

720 x 200.jpeg
bottom of page