top of page
CMTbannerV2.gif

E-scooter catches fire in block of flats sparking warning from fire department


Image credit : Essex County Fire & Rescue Service

Essex County Fire & Rescue Service have issued safety advice after an electric scooter caught fire in a communal area of a four-storey block of flats.


Firefighters were called to Dads Woods, Harlow where a resident had found an e-scooter on fire. The resident immediately called 999 before taking the scooter outside.

Firefighters made sure the fire was completely extinguished, using buckets of water.


Watch Manager Ross Daynes said: "This incident shows the dangers of keeping your e-scooter inside.


"We don't believe this e-scooter was charging but it still caught fire – sometimes lithium batteries can overheat and ignite if they are damaged.

"If they catch fire, you could end up blocking escape routes and making an already serious situation much more dangerous, particularly in high rise flats."


Firefighters plan to visit the flats to give safety advice around the hazards of e-scooters, lithium batteries and storage of items in communal areas.


Essex County Fire & Rescue Service E-scooter safety advice


If you are buying an electric scooter, please follow this guidance:

  • Buy from a reputable retailer

  • Follow the manufacturer's guidance on charging and storing

  • Store your e-scooter outside and away from escape routes

  • Always charge during the day when you are at home

  • Do not over-charge – once your item is fully charged, disconnect it and turn the charger off

  • Always unplug after use

  • Register it at registermyappliance

  • Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures

  • If your battery gets damaged – either crushed, punctured or immersed in water – it could cause a fire.

Comments


Subscribe to our newsletter. Receive all the latest news

Thanks for subscribing!

thumbnail_phonto (1).jpg
bottom of page