top of page

11 JAILED FOR 65 YEARS: Man dragged into London minicab, kidnapped, beaten and threatened with knife

Updated: Mar 6, 2022

Image credit : Metropolitan Police

Eleven people have been jailed for a combined total of more than 65 years for their roles in the kidnap and false imprisonment of a man from Bethnal Green.

The ten men and one woman were sentenced over the past two months with the last remaining two being sentenced today, Thursday, 24 February at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Detectives from Central Specialist Crime investigated the kidnap of a man which took place between Friday, 28 and Saturday, 29 February 2020. The victim eventually managed to escape from a hotel in Nottingham.

The investigation involved obtaining and reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV footage from locations within and between London and Nottingham to identify each defendant and the vehicles used. A manhunt spanning seven months was launched to locate and arrest those who had gone into hiding.

The following who were charged with kidnap and false imprisonment denied the offences but were convicted on Friday, 30 July 2021 following a two-week trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court. They were sentenced between Thursday, 10 February and Thursday, 24 February:

Mohammed Jahidul Rahman, 24 (12.06.97) of Lawrence Avenue, Sawbridgeworth was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

Abdur Rahat, 25 (24.08.96) of Pulteney Close, Tower Hamlets was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

Yusef Miah, 35 (03.02.87) of Beckwith House, Bethnal Green was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

Additionally, Hiron Miah, 26 (11.11.95) of Eversley House, Bethnal Green was sentenced to ten years’ imprisonment for kidnap, false imprisonment, perverting the court of justice in relation to witness intimidation of the victim and three counts of possession of Class A and B drugs.

Fahim Ahmed, 23 (30.06.98) of Lark Row, Bethnal Green was convicted on Tuesday, 5 October 2021 after a one week trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court. He was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

The following pleaded guilty at earlier hearings at the same court, they were:

Suhayl Hussain, 27 (21.01.95) of Noel Street, Nottingham was sentenced to five years and four months’ imprisonment for false imprisonment.

Mohammed Nahidur Rahman, 26 (04.05.95) of Lawrence Avenue, Sawbridgeworth was sentenced to seven years and two months’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

Fatah Al-Hussain 27 (19.02.95) of Harmony Buildings, Tower Hamlets was sentenced to seven years and two months’ imprisonment for kidnap and false imprisonment.

Mohammed Sadek Miah, 24 (08.06.97) of Eversley House, Bethnal Green was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment for false imprisonment.

Dildar Kibria, 29 (28.09.92) of Houblon Apartments Tower Hamlets was sentenced to four years and nine months imprisonment for false imprisonment

Fahima Aktar, 25 (25.03.96) of Culpin House, Bethnal Green received an 18 month suspended sentence for false imprisonment.

The court heard how the victim, a man in his 20s, arranged to meet Yusef Miah on the day of the kidnap in relation to money he had been holding on behalf of a third party.

The victim drove to Barnet Grove in Bethnal Green and parked at the roadside at 17:00hrs on Friday, 28 February 2020 to meet Miah.

Upon arriving at the meeting point, the victim was approached by Fahim Ahmed, whom he had known for many years. Ahmed reached inside the car and grabbed the ignition key. He then beckoned over a group of males who started to punch the windows and try to open the doors. They finally managed to get into the car and Hiron and Fatah dragged the victim out of the car and punched and kicked him.

The victim was knocked unconscious and the next thing he remembered was being walked towards a minicab before being driven to Victoria Park in Bethnal Green and assaulted by Al-Hussain. He was also threatened with a knife by Abdur Rahat.

He was then driven to Buckhurst Street, Bethnal Green in the company of Hiron, Abdur Rahat and Mohammed Jahidul Rahman. Kibria facilitated access to an address and the victim was taken inside, while being held in a headlock by Mohammed Jahidul Rahman.

They were later joined by Mohammed Nahidur Rahman, Fatah Al-Hussain and Mohammed Sadek Miah.

The victim was made to sit on the floor before being assaulted by Mohammed Jahidul Rahman. Again he was threatened with a knife. Whilst at the address Mohammed Nahidur Rahman kicked the victim in the head.

Hiron then arranged for the suspects to be taken to Suhayl Hussain’s home in Nottingham. They travelled in Aktar’s car with Hiron and his brother, Mohammed Miah from Bethnal Green, along the A12 to the M11.

During this car journey, Hiron handed the victim a phone and told him to call his mum and tell her he would not be released until she paid £200,000. His father answered and the victim relayed the demand, before Hiron grabbed the phone from him and repeated the demand for cash.

The victim was then taken to a hotel in Nottingham by Mohammed Miah and Suhayl Hussian and made his escape whilst his captors slept. He immediately reported what had happened to reception and police were called.

Detective Constable Carl Stallabrass, from the Met's Flying Squad, said: "This was a brazen offence, committed in broad daylight which subjected the victim to a terrifying ordeal lasting over 20 hours. I hope these sentences provide some comfort after he was forced to re-live events at trial, despite there being an overwhelming body of evidence.

"These convictions are a testament to the dedication, tenacity and willingness of the investigation team."

Suhayl Hussain and Mohammed Miah were arrested on Saturday, 29 February 2020 in Noel Street, Nottingham by officers from Nottinghamshire Police. Hiron Miah was arrested in Bethnal Green on Tuesday, 4 August 2020 following an extensive manhunt.

The remaining suspects were arrested by Met officers at their home addresses and charged as above with the exception of Abdur Rahat, who surrendered to custody on Wednesday, 2 September 2020.


Subscribe to our newsletter. Receive all the latest news

Thanks for subscribing!

thumbnail_phonto (1).jpg
bottom of page