In a bid to improve safety, Transport for London (TfL) has announced road closures around Old Street Roundabout in preparation for turning the accident blackspot into two-way road.
The area will be subject to road closures over the weekend to allow the layout to be changed to two-way traffic, and from Monday, the south-eastern section of the junction will be closed until November.
Once work is completed on the south-eastern seaction, the northwest arm of the junction will permanently close.
TfL project director, Nick Fairholme said: "Our work will transform journeys for thousands of people and make it much easier and safer to walk, cycle and use public transport.
"The switch to two-way traffic is a major milestone and some road closures and changes to travel are needed. I'd encourage everybody in the area to take extra care as traffic gets used to the new road layout."
The Islington Gazette revealed that plans for a new underground station entrance have been shelved after the design was slammed by Islington and Hackney councils.
Amongst the criticism thrown at planners, was the possibility of anti-social behavior on a giant set of stairs which had been designed, as well as the fact the only exit from Old Street into the borough was being removed, meaning that people may have to cross six lanes of traffic to get to Hoxton or Shoreditch.
RoadPeace campaign coordinator, Victoria LeBrec said: "The current layout is unsafe and we've seen some really horrible collisions happen there over the last few years."
Image Source: Flickr
Image Author: Jack Torcello